Friday, September 11, 2009

Make your hummus hummmmmmmm!

I'm back.  Writing short stories has consumed me for a week or two but I want to get a post out to you all before the weekend.

I've gotta be honest.  For the longest time, I found hummus to be, well . . .  ho hum.  It didn't help that our 10-year old son suggested it looked like throw up.

Recently though, I found a hummus recipe that changed everything--the flavor, the color and the nutritional value.  The spices in this recipe really crank up the antioxidant content of hummus.  That's why I tried it originally.  You know the buzz . . . . turmeric can decrease chances of dementia.  And cilantro, I LOVE cilantro!  Everything's better with cilantro!

If you have 15 minutes to run to the store and then 10 minutes to throw the ingredients into your food processor or blender, you too can change your attitude about hummus.

Spiced Up Hummus

1 can (15 oz.) of chickpeas, drained, reserving 1/4 c. of the liquid
1/4 c. tahini (sesame paste)
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
1 T. olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 t. ground star anise
1/4 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. turmeric (my addition)
1/4 c. + cilantro leaves, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

-Place everything in the food processor or blender and puree 'til smooth.  Stop the motor as needed to scrape down the sides.
-This is great with whatever you usually eat with hummus but I LOVE it with Blue Diamond Nut Thin crackers.

Enjoy:)

Note:  Feel free to soak, drain and boil dry chickpeas if you have the time.  Just save 1/4 c. of the cooking liquid if you need it to thin out the hummus a bit.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...